Advertising and newspapers
By Susan Flood
From the very beginning the Welwyn Garden City companies wished to advertise their newly built houses to attract both buyers and tenants. They printed leaflets which were widely distributed and published adverts in the local newspapers. Large collections of these are held both at HALS and in the library at Welwyn Garden City. Newspapers have been published in Welwyn Garden City since October 1921 and many of these are available at Welwyn Garden City Library on microfilm. From 1928 the main edition was known as the Welwyn Times and from 1976 the Welwyn Hatfield Times, still published weekly today.