Panshanger Estate & Digswell House
By Susan Flood
After the death of the Countess Cowper in 1913 the Panshanger estate was inherited by Lord and Lady Desborough (William and Ettie Grenfell). Two of their sons were killed in 1915, so after the war ended large areas of the Panshanger estate were sold. A huge particulars of sale was drawn up and the copy now held by HALS is annotated to show who bought each Lot and what price was paid for it. This page shows cottages on the Great North Road near Lemsford which still exist today although the modern A1 motorway runs very close to them. Digswell House was also included in the sale and this was purchased by Second Garden City Ltd for £15,000. After being used as an Arts Centre for many years the building has now been converted into apartments. These photographs show what the interior of the house looked like in 1919.