Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies
Welwyn Garden City: A Town Designed for Healthy Living was a National Lottery Heritage Fund project delivered by Hertfordshire Archive and Local Studies from October 2019 – March 2021.
For this project we planned to the following:
- Community Exhibition: A touring exhibition, co-created in partnership with local community groups, children and young people.
- School Workshops: A new primary school local history session about the town its ethos and development, delivered free of charge to local schools in Welwyn Garden City during the project.
- Archive Film Screenings: An archive film showing of Welwyn Garden City from the 1920s 1950s to be played at four different locations in Welwyn Garden City.
- Illustrated Talk: exploring the development of the town and how today’s challenges are not so different to the challenges that Howard and others were considering at the turn of the 19th century.
- Guided Walk: A guided walking tour of Welwyn Garden City with a look into its past and plans for its future.
- Collections Conservation and Cataloguing: Archivists will catalogue papers from the town’s societies and volunteer will be re-boxing this material.
- Our Welwyn Garden City Website: Development of new content. Recruitment of volunteer website editors.
When the pandemic broke out in early 2020, nearly all of our plans had to be adapted for remote delivery. You can see a short film about this at the top of this page and you can read more in our summary report.