Welwyn Garden City's first ambulance
By Susan Hall
The first ambulance for Welwyn Garden City was presented to the St Johns Ambulance Brigade by the British Red Cross Society in August 1928.
It was the new ford type and cost £250 and was filled with “every imaginable requirement and accommodation for two patients”.
The ambulance was opened for service by Lady Chambers and an article appeared in the Welwyn Times dated 3rd August 1928 along with the photos.
Two weeks later the following article appearded in the Welwyn Times dated 17 August 1928
“Direction to the public
We have been asked to announce the following directions in connection with the use of the Welwyn Garden City Ambulance.
To Obtain Ambulance:
Telephone Welwyn Garden City 297 (Dr Fry’s house). In all cases, state definite position of accident, nature and address of person telephoning. In accident cases, state definite possition of accident, nature of accident and sex of injured person. In sickness cases, state if immediate removal is essential, or can it be deferred to a convienient time, why, when and where required. Application for the ambulance in all cases of sickness will as a rule only be entertained through a doctor.
In order to maintain up keep the following payments will be requested: For use inside Welwyn Garden City area 2/6; for use outside Welwyn Garden City area 1/- per mile. A deposit of 5/- will be asked for in advance. Where the ordinary scale of payment cannot be afforded, the doctor in charge of the case will be asked to be good enough to assess a reduced (or negative) charge”.