Hertfordshire Constabulary in Welwyn and Hatfield, 1841-1991
By Jack Moulder
In 1991 Hertfordshire Constabulary celebrated the 150th anniversary of its formation. Pictured is the Souvenir magazine published to celebrate this event, along with a number of photographs representing policing in Welwyn and Hatfield during the 150-year period.
Hertford Borough Police was formed in January 1836, with St Albans Borough Police established in July of the same year. By 1841, the Hertfordshire Constabulary were formed, but it was an independent body from the two previous forces, until 1889, when the Hertford Borough Police and the Constabulary were amalgamated. St Albans Borough Police remained independent until 1947, when it too joined the Constabulary.