60 Heronswood Road, Welwyn Garden City
By Susan Hall
On Saturday 3rd April 1954 at 3pm, Sir John Wrigley, K.B.E., C.B (formerly Deputy Secretary to the Ministry of Housing and Local Government) opened the two thousandth council house, number 60 Heronswood Road, Welwyn Garden City.
An Address was given by Councillor W H Playle, J.P., C.C Chairman of the Housing Committee, who also introduced Sir John Wrigley.
Sir John Wrigley then opened the two thousandth house and handed the Key to the tenant.
The two-thousandth house and the adjoining house no 58 Heronswood Road, were inspected by the official party, after which both houses were open for public inspection until 7pm.
Nos. 58 and 60 Heronswood Road, Welwyn Garden City, remained open for inspection by the public and all interested persons each day from 2-7pm from 4th April until the 15th April inclusive.
The Housing committee consisted of the following members:
Chairman Councillor W H Playle JP CC.
Councillor S R Collingwood
Councillor Mrs J Hattie
Councillor H W Monroe
Councillor S W Palacio
Councillor A Vickery JP (Chairman of the Council)
Clerk to the Council L J Slocombe
Treasurer H Willard
Housing Manager C N Mitchell
No. 58 Heronswood Road, has been completely furnished by the Co-operative Wholesale Society Limited for the St Albans Co-operative Society Limited, and the electrical lighting fittings and appliances have been provided by the Eastern Elcetricity Board.
No. 60 Heronswood Road, has been completely furnished by Messrs. William Perring & Co Limited, Welwyn Garden City, and the gas appliances and fittings have been provided by the Eastern Gas Board.
The housing scheme was no. 16 which consisted of 245 houses, 48 flats and 31 garages.
The Contractors were Messrs Alfred Robinson ( Builders and Contractors) Ltd, Harrow
The Architect was Charles W Fox F.R.I.B.A. Welwyn Garden City and the building costs were £414,799. Cost to Roads and Sewers £47,873
The accommodation for the 2000th house consisted of Living Room, Kitchin and Dining recess, Three Bedrooms, Lavatory, Bathroom and interior store.
The total house area including store was 912 sq. ft. and the approximate cost was £1525 exclusive of services, land, etc., estimated to cost £265. Provisional rent (including rates) 35s 6d per week.
A continuous burning fire is provided in the living Room and the radiator in the Dining Recess is supplied from the boiler behind the fire, to which the B.B.U Summer-time Attachment can be fitted. In addition, a thermostatically controlled immersion heater is fitted in the calorifier in the airing cupboard upon the landing, for use in the summer months. A gas wash-boiler is part of the standerd equipment.
This information was taken from the opening Ceremony leaflet, there is a copy at Hertordshire Archives and Local Studies ref. UDC 21/42/1